Interesting facts and traditions

History of fish-farming
 
The colonisation of the Třeboň Basin in the 11th and 12th centuries is connected especially with the powerful Vítek family, who owned the vast area stretching from the borders of Moravia as far as Vyšší Brod. This territory was, at the same time, a border forest described by the historian Teplý as follows: A primeval forest, scarcely populated, a vast forest, an immense forest area full of streams, swamps and lakes, a vast country with brooks and rivers flowing through it, an area inhabited by fishermen, beaver hunters and the lord’s gamekeepers, apart from bears, wolves, lynxes and other beasts.
Like elsewhere in the Czech lands, monastery orders spread their domains supported both by the sovereigns and powerful feudal lords. Holding the crucial position among them were the Lords of the Vítek family (Witigons). Some time before 1250, Vítek III’s descendants built a castle on the upper stream of the Vltava River and named it the Rose Mountain – Rosenberg – Rožmberk. Since that time, they called themselves the Lords of the Rose.
 
Significant personalities of fish-farmingJakub Krčín
 
The Rožmberks were one of the first feudal families to introduce an organization of goods production. The main sources were mining – obtaining precious metals, and fish-farming, represented by fishpond builders, the most important personalities of whom are Štěpánek Netolický, Mikuláš Rutard and Jakub Krčín.
The fish-farming trade of the 14th century ranked among profitable trades and therefore highly respected jobs of colonisation, as it drained large areas of as yet unproductive soil, enlarged meadows, drained wetlands changing them into fertile fields and preparing places for new towns and villages (České Budějovice, Pardubice, Vodňany and a hundred villages).
 
Modern history
 
The Rybářství Třeboň a.s., i.e. the Fishery joint-stock company Třeboň, came into being in its present-day form on the 1st May 1992 on the basis of the Large-Scale Privatisation Act. It is a fish-farming company with a tradition of hundreds of years, as most of the fishponds owned by the company were built as early as the late 15th and especially the 16th centuries, under the rule of the Lords of Rožmberk. The most famous builders of these fishponds and water works were Mikuláš Ruthard of Malešov, Štěpánek Netolický and Jakub Krčín of Jelčany.
Josef Šusta (1853-1914) played a leading role in the improvement and development of fish-farming i the region of Třeboň. His book "Nutrition of Carp and Other Pond Species" became a world-acknowledged textbook of fish-farming. Šusta gave fish-farming a scientific basis by means of his research and proving it in practice, and is deservedly seen as the doyen of modern fish-farming.
When the Czechoslovak Republic was proclaimed on the 28th October 1918 and the first agrarian reform was conducted in the following year, most fish-ponds presently owned by the company were transferred from the Schwarzenberg and Habsburg families’ property to the Czechoslovak state. From that date on, the FISHERY Třeboň, a.s. was a state enterprise in various forms. A change occurred on the 1st May 1992, when a joint-stock company without state participation was founded. 50 per cent of the shareholders at the time that the company was created were natural persons (holders of investment vouchers) and 50 per cent was owned by Czech and Slovak investment companies. At present, shares are dealt on the exchange and in the RM system.
 
Třeboň – History
 
The origins of this lovely town, situated in the middle of the flat fishpond area, go back to the mid 12th century, as a little market settlement with an estate, nowadays known as Třeboň, was founded on a path crossing the deep frontier forest. The fact the local people had to clear the area and uproot tree stumps probably gave the settlement its name. All this vast area was given by the king to the first known member of the numerous Vítek family (Witigons), Vítek of Prčice, who was very active in business. Soon after it was founded, the settlement came to the hands of the Cistercian monastery at Světlá (Zwettl) in Upper Austria. Around 1250 this domain was re-gained by the brothers Pelhřim and Ojíř of the Landštejn branch of the Vítek family. We can assume that around 1300 Třeboň was a settlement with fortifications and a moat on the outside. The settlement developed fast, and as early as 1280 the Church of St. Giles was mentioned in documents. Třeboň became the centre of the expanding domain. In 1341 it was referred to as a town and from 1366 its Czech name was used beside the as yet used names “Witigenowe” and “Wittingau” (i.e. Vítek’s flood-plain). In 1366 the brothers of Rožmberk became the owners of Třeboň and the domain around, and the town prospered under their rule. As early as the following year the Rožmberks founded a monastery in Třeboň, granted it the royal town rights in 1376, and obtained for it the privilege of salt import from King Charles IV in 1378. In the late 14th century, the town was started to build walled fortification and a moat. These fortifications along with the castle tower and the surrounding swampy area made Třeboň an almost invincible fortress. This proved essential in the Hussite wars, when the town repelled several attacks. The real blossom of the town came in the latter half of the 15th century. Petr IV of Rožmberk (1462 – 1523), even more than his predecessors, looked after the management in his estates, and his subject Štěpánek Netolický founded the famous fishery. An equally important event was establishing the lord’s new brewery in 1505.
Třeboň achieved its greatest prosperity in the 16th and early 17th centuries, especially under the last two Rožmberks, brothers Vilém and Petr Vok of Rožmberk. They gave a lot of attention to the economic development of the entire domain, especially, however, to fishery and brewing beer. The natural conditions of the Basin of Třeboň enabled large-scale building of fishponds, and thus strengthening the economy of the entire area. A new era of building and prosperity came when Jakub Krčín of Jelčany was appointed to the head of all economic activities of the Lords of Rožmberk. Krčín’s economic reforms soon became visible in Třeboň and its nearest surroundings. From 1602, Třeboň even became the new residential centre of the Rožmberks, who were the most powerful aristocratic family in south Bohemia. After the death of Petr Vok, the last member of the Rožmberk family in 1611, the domain and the town came into the hands of the Švamberks, lost it for their participation in the estate uprising against the Habsburgs. The whole domain of theirs was confiscated, and in the years 1622-1660 Třeboň was held by the sovereign’s family, the Habsburgs. In 1660 Prince Jan Adolf of Schwarzenberg obtained the domain of Třeboň in recognition of his personal merits. The Schwarzenbergs, who kept holding Třeboň until the 20th century, favoured the town. Třeboň recovered from various blows brought about by the war, and several disastrous fires that considerably damage the appearance of the town.

A revival of the quiet life was brought about in the mid 19th century, when Třeboň became the capital of the district. And another impulse for a more intensive development of the entire area was the construction of important transportation routes, especially the railway in 1871, which connected the town with Vienna. Essential changes in the life of the town came after World War I, when all the economic property of the Schwarzenbergs was transferred to the state within the first agrarian reform. World War II also took its victims in Třeboň. After the war, more industrial enterprises were established in the town (garment industry and agricultural large-scale production). In 1960 the administrative district disestablished and the town obtained the status of a spa town.
The Chef recommends
Pike-perch cubes in honey:

200 g cube the pike-perch filet
cover the cubes in:
fish spices
salt
flour
roast it and pour it over with garlic and honey sauce
Serve with rice or potatoes.
We recommend white wine.